Sustaining Missouri’s Wildlife Habitat
Missouri’s rugged terrains and sprawling grasslands provide the perfect natural habitat for wild game and a haven for the passionate hunter. Preserving the natural beauty of these landscapes is a duty we hold to pass a legacy on to future generations of hunters and outdoor enthusiasts. As a landowner, adding native grasses is a great way to accomplish this mission. Heading into the winter months, now is the perfect time to consider frost seeding as a simple way of establishing native grasses on your property.
Frost Seeding Basics
Frost seeding is a practice that uses natural processes to easily plant more seeds. As the soil freezes and thaws, its expansion and contraction draws seeds into the ground naturally and helps them take root over time. As winter gives way to spring’s warmth, the seeds emerge, transforming the landscape into a haven for wild game.
Frost Seeding Benefits
- Prime Hunting Grounds: With the resurgence of native grasses, areas designated for hunting are renewed with an abundance of wildlife, ensuring a thriving ecosystem of wild game.
- Natural Camouflage: Native grasses provide natural cover for both hunters and wildlife – helping you to blend into the surroundings better.
- Wildlife Preservation: Frost seeding promotes the preservation of the very wildlife we treasure. By fostering a habitat conducive to native species, you can ensure hunting is possible for future generations.
- Soil Health: The root systems of native grasses play an important role in stabilizing soil structure, reducing erosion and improving water retention, thereby fostering a healthier and more resilient landscape.
Missouri’s Native Seeds
If you’re ready to try out frost seeding, Missouri has plenty of native grasses to explore. Here are a few options to replenish your property.
- Big Bluestem – With its tall, bluish-green foliage, Big Bluestem is a favorite among hunters. Its dense cover conceals game and creates a haven for upland birds and deer. In addition, its robust root system enhances soil stability and minimizes erosion, making it perfect for establishing strategic hunting grounds.
- Switchgrass – Switchgrass is a drought tolerant grass celebrated for its adaptability and dense growth, providing valuable cover for game species. Additionally, its height and thick structure offer excellent nesting habitat for quail and provide refuge for deer during harsh winters.
- Sideoats Grama – Sideoats Grama is known for its distinctive seed heads and is an essential part of a well-rounded frost seeding mix in Missouri. Its low-growing structure creates ideal forage for deer and other herbivores, promoting year-round hunting opportunities. Plus, Sideoats Grama is very drought tolerant.
As the frost takes hold this season, embrace the age-old technique of frost seeding! By planting Missouri’s native grasses like Big Bluestem, Switchgrass and Sideoats Grama, you’re building the foundation for a rugged and bountiful wilderness. This will continue to provide great hunting for generations to come.
Not sure where to get started with native grass options? As always, Missouri Southern Seed is your go-to expert! Give us a call today.