Be the envy of the neighborhood with a freshly planted new lawn! Although it may seem a bit intimidating, planting a new lawn is a quick and easy way to add curb appeal and functionality to any property. Follow these 5 simple steps to a new and beautiful lawn.
- Preparation: Aerate or till the soil, remove any rocks, and apply an all-purpose fertilizer to ensure your seeds have all the potential nutrients to have a good start. Rake the seedbed until it’s smooth and firm. When overseeding, be sure to rake out thatch so the seed can have contact with the soil.
- Sowing: Spread your seed of choice evenly, and lime if necessary. If you’re still unsure of what kind of seed to use, head to our product page and find one that fits your needs. Or, give us a call and one of our seed experts can lend a hand.
- Rake Lightly: Germination of the seed is improved when they’re covered with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of soil, but don’t go overboard. Any more soil, and you’ll have the opposite effect.
- Cover Seed: Cover the seedbed with a very thin layer of top dressing or straw. This layer keeps the soil from drying out while allowing the sun to filter through.
- Water: The top layer of soil must remain moist until the grass is well established. Spray mist as often as necessary, but avoid overwatering.
And just like that, your lawn should be reading for its first mowing in 3-6 weeks! A couple of extra tips to ensure your hard work wasn’t all for not:
Tip #1: Feed your lawn every 6-8 weeks in fall and early spring to make sure your lawn stays luscious and green.
Tip #2: Use a broadleaf weed killer after the new lawn is mowed at least three times to decrease the chance of undesirables in your new, beautiful yard.